How to seek Centrelink assistance if your payments are about to be cut off


Starting in September this year, thousands of injured workers who have been in receipt of weekly benefits since before 1 October 2012, will have their weekly payments cut off.

If you, or someone you know, is one of these workers, it is important for you to know that Centrelink assistance may be able to be provided.

An application can be lodged with Centrelink up to 13 weeks before payments cease.

​Before you apply to Centrelink,  you need to:

  1. Create a MyGov account. Go to the Centrelink website to find how to do this:
  2. Complete a self-assessment online to determine the type of benefits that may be available to you. You can also call Centrelink on 13 2468 or go to their website:

To make an application for assistance, the following needs to be supplied to Centrelink:

  • A letter from the workers compensation insurer stating:
  • agreed total number of weekly payments paid to date
  • projected date of your last weekly payment
  • the reason for the cessation of your weekly payments.
  • Your latest Certificate of Capacity, and any other medical reports or information regarding your injury (current to the last 4 weeks).
  • If you’ve received a lump sum payment for permanent impairment, a copy of the settlement documents. If you don’t have this, ask your solicitor or the insurer to give you a copy.
  • Copies of your spouse’s earning information (payslips, pay records or a letter from his/her employer confirming their wages).

​Centrelink assesses each application based on personal circumstances.

Please don’t wait to seek assistance or advice until your payments have ceased. Give us a call or come and see us at Lismore, Ballina or the Gold Coast if you have any questions.